BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mere Christianity, a must read

In C.S. Lewis’s Mere Christianity, he takes us on an intellectual journey, strewn with striking metaphors that even the most unlearned mind can comprehend. This odyssey tears down all our preconceptions about theology and God to bring us face to face with raw, unadulterated truth. Common sense and logic join with perspicaciousness to reveal to us a new and fresh picture of a very old, and many times misunderstood, religion. Starting out without the assumption of a God, Lewis’s practical yet intellectual analogies brings us to the conclusion that there is indeed a God, and that His way is real and works.
“Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists…If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world…Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing.” This is one of my favorite excerpts from the book. It makes perfect sense, yet on my own I most likely would have never thought of it like that.
I’ve grown up in church, surrounded by Christianity, but I’ve never been forced to think through what I believe and see why it was true. Mere Christianity made me think and discover new truths. It helped me form beliefs and opinions. It took me down the path of Christianity and philosophy. In the end, I came to an improved and deeper knowledge and understanding of the faith I hold dear.

1 comments:

Rissy said...

so good, Heidi! I started reading MC, but I have a problem finishing books.