BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cut my life into pieces...this is my last resort

In the teen culture today there has become an increasing amount of "cutters". Self-mutilation is not as unheard of as it used to be. There are close to 3 million cutters in America. The majority of them are girls; women tend to turn anger towards themselves whereas men direct anger at others. I absolutely loathe the attitude that a lot of people (Christians) have toward cutters or even just the gothic/emo lifestyle (for lack of a better word). I hear comments at various times that frustrate me to no end. People think it’s weird, creepy, scary, or stupid. They have this idea that those people are so strange and almost evil, they’re intimidated and freaked out by them. They want nothing to do with these types of people. They think that people cut themselves for attention, sometimes teens cut themselves so someone will notice and hopefully care, but many times cutters hide the scars so no one can see so that's not usually the core reason. I mean come on, it's self-inflicted pain. Cutting is a poor coping mechanism. People who cut have something that they don't know how to deal with. It usually starts as a ‘I’m hurting inside, I need (want) to express it’ mentality. Sometimes they do it as a means of punishing themselves. Cutters often say “I would rather feel pain on the outside than feel pain inside.” It’s the same concept as when you have a splinter in your pinkie and you pinch your index finger to take away from the pain from the splinter. It’s a distraction. It also many times comes from the need to feel alive. They feel numb inside, like they're sinking into oblivion so they cut and hurt themselves to feel something. Also, when you get an open wound your body secretes a healing endorphin that rushes to the wound but it also goes all through your bloodstream, making you feel a little better for a moment, it's almost a high. I’m not trying to normalize or legitimize it, I just want people to get past the craziness of it and reach out. It IS bizarre and weird, but rather than say “That’s creepy and irrational” and leave them in that category, we need to realize it’s sad and very serious, understand why, and then move on to lead them to the Healer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post, Heidi. Where do we get the idea that as Christians, we must separate ourselves from the people of this world because we might contaminate ourselves?! Jesus said that we are to be in the world, but not of the world. He also said that it is not the healthy that need a doctor, but the sick. In agreement with you, how are people supposed to learn about the Healer if Christians are not doing their job to introduce them?

Amy Weddle said...

I love you Heidi! This reminds me of the skit we did Senior year for our Hayride/harvest party. Its true; we get so caught up in staying away from people that "weird us out" when they are some of the ones who need the Gospel the most.

Jess said...

Wow, Heidi - you really opened my eyes to some things. I admit, I didn't know much about "cutters" until reading your blog. I knew what they were and the basic idea of why they injured themselves. But that didn't help me understand it. I also have to admit that I am guilty at times of getting "creeped out" at the sight of someone who could be labeled as "gothic" etc. It is hard to not prejudge someone from their obvious appearance (dressing elaborately differently - such as the all black and heavy studs). But that does not make it right. We should reach out to those. Instead of saying how wrong they are and perhaps even TELLING them that they need Christ, we should SHOW them by loving them to the Savior. I don't mean join their crowd, but show them care and concern, and pray for them and tell them that you are.

Great blog!